My Grandmother, Nanny, used to make camp fries for us up at the camp up on Iatt Lake. When we were young we didn't realize that she was doing anything different than our mothers did. All we knew was they were scrumptious! Her secret was to put them in cold grease to start. Out the box wasn't a term back then, her term for something like that was, going out of style. We ate her camp fries like they were going out of style!
The twist part came years later at my best friend, Mark Thompson's, camp. He would slice an onion or two and throw them in with the fries. Simple and delicious.
2-2 1/2 red potatoes
2 large white onions
Vegetable or peanut oil
Tony Chachere seasoning
Clean and slice the potatoes into french fries
2. Peal and slice onions
3. Cut the slices halfway through so they will be long strings.
4. Put oil in a large pan or pot
5. Put french fries in oil
6. Turn on the burner to medium high
7. When the fries start to sizzle add the onion slices. Don't wait for the fries to get that brown before you add the onions.
8. When the onions are a little brown on the edges, the fries should be brown also. Remove all and place on a pan that has paper towels layered on it.
9. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and Tony's seasoning to taste.
You and your guest will eat them like they are going out of style!
Soft rides & hard strikes!!!